The summertime is now upon us. This means scheduling family trips, doing many extra curricular activities and just being outside a whole lot! It is important to make sure you have a good game plan for you outside playtime with your kids. You want to make sure that you are fully prepared to take on the hot weather with your children. Here are a few tips to take with you for this season.
- Sunscreen – We all know that we should lather up with sunscreen before stepping out to face the sun. You should also reapply sunscreen at least every 2 hours. If your little one is playing hard and sweating while playing outside you need to make sure you reapply since all of the sweat may have rubbed off some of the sunscreen.
- Keep hydrated – Make sure you always keep some water with you in your car. Many places have access to water fountains but you don’t want to be stuck in a sticky situation where you can find one and don’t have any water on hand. It is important to keep active children hydrated while they play so that they do not overheat. Children often play hard and forget to take a break for a drink. Make sure you remind your children to take a drink of water every so often.
- Snack – Snacking is also important for those long stays at the park or during any outdoor activity. You also want to keep a few snacks with you that are not too heavy for you child to eat and are nutritious as well. I know it is hard to keep healthy food in the car so it doesn’t spoil so it is always nice to keep a cooler or cooler bag in the car for these purposes.
- Stay Shaded – Try to seek out areas that have plenty of shade. Shade will also help be a great defense from the sun rays and will help keep your little one cool. You can also make sure you and your child wear hats and clothes that breath to keep from over heating. Also, make sure you are wearing proper shoes that breath as well.
- Fans – Purchase small portable fans. Several stores sell battery powered fans during this time of year. If your little one starts to get hot you can have this on hand to give to them while they rest instead of having to walk back to the car.
- Use your judgement – You are the one that knows what is best for you child. If it seems too hot to play outside for hours then limit your time there or skip outside time. You want to keep your child as safe as possible so use your judgement.